Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

I’m queer and am contemplating coming to the U. What is it like? 

Because different folks experience their queerness in different ways providing a definite answer to this question is difficult.  Not only does climate vary across departments, social circles, and individuals so too does experience vary based on intersecting personal identities.

If you would like to speak to someone about what campus life has looked like for them, either contact student staff or use the anonymous Queer Peers system.  

How can I get involved with the queer community on campus? 

The LGBT RC has a few programs that attempt to provide students access to community. These include:

Otherwise, stop by the space (Union 409) to meet other queer folx, watch netflix, hangout, study, or flirt!

Is the LGBT Resource Center only for University of Utah students?

Although certain resources are available only to University of Utah students (like our scholarships and emergency fund), the LGBT Resource center is open to anyone, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm.

I’m not “LGBT”. Can I come to the center?

The LGBT RC operates from a queer model, meaning we assume everyone entering our space is a little queer, or different. We will never “queer card” you, that is, we will never ask you to define or defend your identity.

How can I volunteer with the LGBT Resource Center?

To be added to our volunteer list, fill out an application here. You’ll be added to an email list through which we send volunteer opportunities regularly. 

Interested in being a gender & sexuality workshop facilitator?  Fill out this application.

Does the LGBT RC provide psychiatric counseling services?

No. We can, however, refer you to external mental health providers. On campus, the University Counseling Center is a great resource.

Does the LGBT RC provide academic counseling?

No. Refer to the Academic Advising Center website for information and services. 

Can I make an appointment with a specific staff member?

Yes. You can find specific staff member’s contact information here.

Does the LGBT RC provide scholarships?

Yes, see here.

Do you provide STD/STI testing?

No. The Center for Student Wellness, however, does. You can check out dates for the mobile clinics and other information at their website. Occasionally, however, we partner with the Center for Student Wellness and host their STD/STI mobile testing clinics here in our space at Union 409.

How do I find gender-free restrooms on campus?

Go to the Campus Map and select "Gender Free Restrooms" under the Map Features>Accessibility drop down. 

How can I report a bias incident? 

Visit this website and fill out the form therein. 

Do you have a comprehensive list of resources for students? 

Although not exhaustive, find our Student Resource list here. 

I have a question but it's not listed here. Where can I get answers? 

Submit questions in any of these ways:

  • In person (Visit Union 409 anytime between 8am-5pm, M-F) 
  • Call us at 801-587-7973 (anytime between 8am-5pm, M-F) 
  • Send us an email at
  • Submit a question through Queer Peers


Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center
The University Of Utah
200 S. Central Campus Dr.,
Rm. 409
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm
Last Updated: 5/24/21