Skip to content

Update: University Emergency Funding Application

Until further notice, our office will not be processing emergency funding applications as our funds have been distributed to a streamlined, expedited emergency funding process for the entire university. If you are in need of emergency funding, please complete the online application and staff from the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will follow up with you.

If you have any challenges with this process or questions that arise, please let us know. Contact us at or 801-587-7973.

Apply Now


Emergency Funding

The LGBT Resource Center provides emergency funding to students (undergraduate or graduate) for critical, one-time expenses that could not have been planned for in advance. Examples of situations that may count as an emergency include an unexpected medical bill, inability to pay rent or basic needs, funds to leave an unsafe living environment, funds to repair a car or replace a phone to maintain employment, a sudden change in financial situation such as loss of job or loss of family support, etc. If you have any questions about what situations might qualify for funding, contact our staff at or 801-587-7973.

Who is Eligible for Emergency Funding?

To be eligible for emergency funding a student must:

  • Be a currently enrolled student at the University of Utah (undergraduate or graduate).
  • Not have received emergency funding from our office in the current academic year.
  • Be experiencing an emergency situation involving a critical, one-time cost.
  • Complete an emergency funding application, including all supporting documentation, and submit to our office.
  • Meet with our staff to discuss their application and a plan for addressing emergency situation.
  • Students are required to complete HB 144 affidavit to have funds awarded. Emergency funds are available to undocumented/DACA students who have graduated from a Utah high school as well as international students. Applicants with questions or concerns about this may contact our office. 

How Much are Emergency Funds?

Emergency funds are awarded as one-time scholarships up to the amount of $300. Once a student is awarded emergency funding from our office, they will not be able to apply for emergency funding from us again until the following academic year. Students are encouraged to apply even if their need exceeds $300 and our staff can assist in identifying other potential university resources.

How to Apply

To apply for emergency funding, do the following:

  1. Complete the Emergency Funding application, attach any supporting documentation that you have of your need.
  2. Return your complete application to our office either by submitting in in person (409 Student Union) or emailing it as an attachment to
  3. When you submit your application, you will be asked to schedule a follow-up appointment with one of our staff to discuss your application. Our staff will also consult with the Office of Financial Aid to better understand your case and any unmet need you may have.

For any questions about emergency funding, contact us at lgbtrc@sa.utah or 801-587-7973.

Last Updated: 5/24/21