You are here:

Trans at the U

The LGBT Resource Center is committed to support trans and gender non-conforming (GNC) students, faculty, and staff at the University of Utah. Below you will find a list of trans/GNC resources available at the U. If you have any question regarding any of these resources, please feel free to contact us!

Nondiscrimination & Accessibility Statement

The University of Utah does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, status as a disabled individual, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information or protected veteran’s status, in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services. 

Additionally, the University endeavors to provide reasonable accommodations and to ensure equal access to qualified persons with disabilities.  Inquiries concerning perceived discrimination or requests for disability accommodations may be referred to the University’s Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator: 

Director, Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
201 South Presidents Circle, Rm.135 
Salt Lake City, UT, 84112
801-581-8365 (voice/tdd) 
801-585-5746 (fax)


Campus Information Services (CIS):

To add your chosen name to your student profile in CIS, login to CIS. In the top left, under Student Profile, click the yellow pencil icon in the “Preferred first name” field. Insert your chosen name and save.


To update your name in Canvas, login, then click on the account icon in the top left. Select profile, then click the edit profile button at the top right of the web page. Edit your name and save profile.


Candidates must complete a Change of Personal Information form with the Registrar's Office, Registration and Records Division.  This form can be found at: 

The University of Utah UCard offers one standardized source of identification and access for the institution ensuring convenience, security, and simplicity.

You are not required to list your legal name on the front of your UCard. To have your UCard printed with your chosen name, tell the staff member printing your card you go by a different name. Our staff is here to assist you with this process, and we are happy to go to the UCard office with you if you prefer.

*If you are told you cannot use your chosen name on your UCard - do not proceed with getting your card. Contact our office and we will assist you through this process.

Gender Inclusive Housing


Housing & Residential Education provides gender inclusive housing on campus and is committed to making each resident feel welcomed and included in our campus communities; including an environment welcoming to all gender identities and forms of gender expression.

Students interested in Gender-Inclusive housing can apply to housing through a confidential process. Students in need of gender inclusive housing should contact Housing & Residential Education either through the application process or by directly contacting our office. 

Phone: 801-587-2002




Please note that:

  1. The request will be handled through a confidential process and staff will not ask for more information than is required to meet students’ housing needs.
  2. Placement priority will be given to students who notify HRE before April 1 each year and who require accommodations based on their gender identity/expression.
  3. Later requests will be handled as appropriate spaces become available.


*The following is to be used for informational purposes only. Confirm benefits and coverage with the Student Health Center. 

Covered Surgical Treatment for Gender Dysphoria

 If a plan covers surgical treatment for gender dysphoria, the following are covered when the Eligibility Qualifications for Surgery are met below:

 Genital Surgery (by various techniques which must be appropriate to each patient) including: complete hysterectomy; orchiectomy; penectomy; vaginoplasty; vaginectomy; clitoroplasty; labiaplasty; salpingo-oophorectomy; metoidioplasty; scrotoplasty; urethroplasty; placement of testicular prosthesis; phalloplasty.

 Surgery to change specified secondary sex characteristics, specifically:

  • Thyroid chondroplasty (removal or reduction of the Adam’s Apple), and
  • Bilateral mastectomy, and
  • Augmentation mammoplasty (including breast prosthesis if necessary) if the Physician prescribing hormones and the surgeon have documented that breast enlargement after undergoing hormone treatment for 18 months is not sufficient for comfort in the social role.

 Related Services: In addition to the surgeon fees, the benefit applies to the services related to the surgery, including but not limited to: anesthesia, laboratory testing, pathology, radiologic procedures, hospital and facility fees, and/or surgical center fees.

Faculty and Staff

*The following is to be used for informational purposes only. Confirm benefits and coverage with Human Resources. 

At this time the University of Utah Student Health Insurance following Regence Blueshield's medical policy which includes the following services (prior authorization is required and some requirements may need to be met before procedures are approved):

Assigned Female at Birth (AFAB):

For AFAB individuals seeking trans health services, the following gender confirmation procedures may be covered:

  • Hysterectomy
  • Mastectomy (subcutaneous mastectomy or simple/total mastectomy, which may include related nipple/areola reconstruction)
  • Metoidioplasty
  • Nipple/areola reconstruction related to subcutaneous or simple/total mastectomy with nipple/areola excision or repositioning
  • Penile prostheses implantation
  • Phallic reconstruction/Phalloplasty
  • Salpingo-oophorectomy
  • Scrotoplasty
  • Testicular prostheses implantation
  • Urethroplasty
  • Vaginectomy

Assigned Male at Birth (AMAB):

For AMAB individuals seeking trans health services, the following gender confirmation procedures may be covered:

  • Clitoroplasty
  • Labiaplasty
  • Orchiectomy
  • Penectomy
  • Vaginoplasty

*If you require help understanding the University of Utah's trans inclusive health policies, please stop by our office.

To access:  Go to the Campus Map and select "Gender Free Restrooms" under the Map Features drop down. 

Asking about gender on a form, survey, or project 
First, ask yourself why you are asking for gender on a survey at all. If you taking various forms of demographic data to see who does or doesn’t utilize services, we certainly encourage you to include a question about gender identity. However, we find that sometimes folx are collecting gender information and never use or assess that data. If you do not need utilize this information for any particular purpose consider not asking. Otherwise, here is the suggested way to ask for gender:

Suggested wording:

Gender Identity: ____________________________

When open-ended questions are not possible:

Gender Identity (choose all that apply)

__ woman

__ man

__ trans or transgender

__ another identity (please specify): _________________


Last Updated: 2/27/17