Single Stall/Unisex Restrooms
This inventory of campus restrooms is provided to ensure greater safety and privacy for transgender, gender non-conforming, and any other person who needs assurance when using a public restroom. The intent is to make the University of Utah a safer and more welcoming place for our LGBTQ population.
Note: We may have missed some restrooms during our extensive search. If you find or know of a unisex restroom or single stall restroom not on this list or find a restroom no longer available, please notify the LGBT Resource Center so we can keep our list up to date. Thank you.
University of Utah Unisex Restroom List
- Alfred Emery Bldg. - 1 restroom inside the preschool for the kids.
- Architecture bldg. - Room 230-A, on the 2nd floor by the drinking fountain. Not easy to find, down a little hallway.
- ARMY/Naval bldg. - (Behind ARB) 1 restroom on 1st floor.
- Baseball/Soccer field – there are 3 port-a-potties out by the baseball field all the times. Since none of the buildings close by have any, these may be a great back-up to know about. These are close to the ANNEX, Huntsman Center, and HYPER buildings.
- Biology Building- Unmarked, 3rd floor, around the corner from the elevator.
- Building 44/Gender Studies- 2 Unisex restrooms, one on each floor. There is 1 for the kids in day care too.
- Carolyn Tanner Irish Humanities Building - 2 Single stall bathrooms on the 4th floor to the left of the elevator.
- Carson Hall- Near Ethnic Studies Office.
- Chemistry Bldg. - There is a unisex restroom in the basement of the Chemistry building. Very private, one person only.
- College of Social Work- Three restrooms, one on each floor. Rooms 100C, 200C, & 300C.
- Engineering/ Warnock & MEB- Reportedly several restrooms, however we were unable to locate any of them. Most doors are locked and require card-swipe access. Most likely these buildings have unisex restrooms for employees throughout the building.
- Gateway Heights- One in 806 and one in 807 (there are at least these two).
- George Thomas Bldg. - Second floor, this is an employee only bathroom.
- Golf Restrooms- Two restrooms next to the golf shop. These are outdoors, not the nicest. These will be locked during the winter.
- Heritage Commons (Bldg. 803) - Office portion by the workout room. Only accessible to UCard students who live on campus.
- HPER West- Supposedly Room 118. Unable to locate, but may be in the physical therapy office Room 117, which was locked.
- James Fletcher Building- No room number. On the first floor right off the elevator.
- Kennecott Bldg. - Second floor. Go in the South door, go forward, go up the stairs, restroom is shortly after the landing on the second floor.
- Kingsbury Hall- Has two unisex-gender free restrooms in the dressing room area. They are private lockable rooms with toilet and sink. There are also two lockable private shower cabanas with changing area. These are part of the Crew Locker Room.
- Marriott Library- As of June 2009 the following unisex bathrooms will be open: Level 5 lobby currently unmarked and next to the portrait of J. Willard Marriott and Level 2 next to room 2701 (currently locked an under construction). Additionally there will be 2 unisex restrooms available for library staff located on level 1 next to the employee elevator.
- Office Building 44 (Gender Studies) - Room 201, second floor.
- Rice Eccles Stadium- There are four Unisex restrooms on the concourse level. Told these are open during ‘large events only’. There are two on the west side and two on the east side (there are none in the press-box area. The Olympic museum does not have any either).
- Sage Point- 2 unisex restrooms (both in 811).
- Social Behavioral Science bldg. – Several unisex, single stall restrooms. Look on the 7th floor, 11th, 12th, two on the 13th and supposedly another one someplace, but unable to locate.
- Sterling Sill Center- Basement, next to undergraduate office. This is not easy to locate.
- Stewart Hall- There is a restroom (single stall) upstairs in Stewart Hall (take an immediate right when you get to the top of the stairs). It is for faculty, not students, and if it is closed it locks automatically, but often it is not locked.
- S. J. Quinney College of Law- Two restrooms; room 101C in the main office and one unmarked across the hall however the door states “Females and any Handicap person” however staff insists this is a unisex bathroom.
- Residence Hall- There is several Unisex restrooms here, rather easy to locate.
- Union Bldg. - Main floor, by the pool tables, Crimson Corner, & Union Terrace. 3 total, 2 single stall and one unisex, along back wall.
- University Bookstore- Main floor, employee only.
- UMFA- Utah Museum of Fine Arts- Two, one on each floor, get a map at the front desk to locate them.
- Warnock Engineering Bldg. - Main floor on the East side of the elevator.
Upper Campus/Hospitals and Clinics
- University Hospital - NOTE: Most employee restrooms on patient units are Unisex. Some were shown to us by staff and others were not. Also, larger patient units typically have a Unisex restroom on them for visitors. Here is a list of all that were personally seen, but ask around and staff may give you more options.
- First/main floor- in the pharmacy/admit clinic, back were you would get blood drawn, to the side of the pharmacy there are two unisex restrooms, room 1381 A&B. There are mostly likely others in each clinic but we were not given access to them.
- Second Floor- Room 2505-located next to the Information desk.
- Third floor- There may be three in different surgery areas for employees; we did not have access to the areas.
- Fifth floor- Room 5286 is an employee restroom but if one asks staff, they will point it.
- Sixth floor- 6N room 6115 is staff only restroom and room 6164 is a public restroom on the unit.
- School of Medicine- Room 2A391 on 2E is a staff restroom on the unit. There are suppose to be other staff restrooms on the first and second floor, sections 1B and 2R, but we did not have access to them, so ask employees.
- Eccles Critical Care Pavilion- First floor in the ER waiting room there are two restrooms. On the fifth floor rooms P5271 and P5721.
- UNI/University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Hospital- on Chipeta Way in Research Park- One public unisex restroom on the second floor, right next to the youth unit. This door is unmarked but it is the last door before the purple double doors. As these are locked units, visitors may not use employee restrooms. All units have unisex employee restrooms in the patient areas on the second floor.
- Eccles Health Sciences Library Two on the main floor, these are employee only unisex bathrooms.
- College of Nursing- On the 2nd floor, by the elevators (other side of them).
- HSEB- (Health Science Education Building/Eccles Health Sciences Education Bldg.) The NICEST Bathrooms so far! Next to the lecture hall and down from the Health Science Store in a little hallway. Three exist right after the gender specific bathrooms. Two of them have showers. Check these out, these are really cool.
- School of Pharmacy- Next to the drinking fountain and lounge area on the 1st floor.
- Dumke- Easy Entrance, next to the elevators in a little cubby on the 1st floor (not easy to find).
- Old Moran bldg. /Bldg. 550 (new Clinic Neuroscience Center) - Renovations are being done right now. This bldg will have 2 unisex bathrooms on the main floor by the changing rooms. Enter on the 4th floor east side; these appear to be on the 2nd floor entrance side to the west.
- HCI & HCH- (Huntsman Cancer Institute and Huntsman Cancer Hospital) HCI has 6 unsex restrooms in all the clinics and the hospital has seven. These will be easy to find. Upon entering the hospital ask the front security guard, they are very helpful and friendly. All the 50 hospital rooms of course are unisex for the individual patients.
- Moran Eye Center (New) - One on the 3rd floor and 1 on the 4th floor. Both are in the ‘clinical area’ so access is for employees, patients, and visitors is allowed.
- Orthopedic Center – Level 2, 1 staff unisex restroom and 1 patient unisex restroom, both by the exam rooms.
- Edwin & Grace Madsen Clinic- They have several unisex restrooms through-out the building. The women’s clinic alone has three, they should be easy to find, and very accessible.
- University of Utah Marriott Hotel - The hotel does NOT have any unisex bathrooms in the lobby, but each of the 218 rooms has private bathrooms, of course.
- University of Utah Rehabilitation and Wellness Clinic - One unisex bathroom left of the lower entrance.
- University Health Care/650 Komas - Two unisex restrooms. One on each floor. Both are east of the entrance, signs on the left.
- Information Technology Systems/ITS/585 - Three unisex restrooms. This is a secure building. The 1st floor restroom is easy to gain access to. The restrooms on the 2nd floor and basement are employee restrooms that need card access.
- Building 560/Research - @ unisex restrooms, easy to access.
- Diabetes Center- Past the receptionist and a pull-door (semi secure) next to the lab.
- Red Butte Health Center- Main entrance, right of the receptionist in the lobby-north.
- Primary Children’s Hospital/IHC- One unisex bathroom by Desk B reception area, down the hall, to the right on the 1st floor. Also on the first floor, in the imaging/X-ray area. There may be others but due to HIPPA we were not allowed in patient areas to verify.
- University of Utah Guest House- One in the basement, open to the public.
- Research Administration Building- One in the basement of the building.
- American Indian Resource Center (Temporary CESC Site) - All three restrooms are non-gender specific, two upstairs and one on the main floor.